One Smart Mama
My good pal and OG Real Family Real Food member just laid this gem on me.
As a busy, working mom of three, she has assigned each person in the house one night to make dinner. That includes Dad, the Sophomore, the 8th
grader and even the 6th
grader – I saw the pics of him grilling pork chops with my own eyes!
Yup, that’s right everybody is cooking. This Mama is dropping some serious knowledge on her crew. Here’s what is really happening:
- Meal planning and recipe research
- Appreciation for ingredients in their real, whole form
- Self sufficiency – keeps them out of the quickie mart aisles
- Cooking is sharing your generosity with others
- Accolades from the whole family
- Appreciation for what goes into putting that dang dinner on the dang table each dang night
Oh, and how about that fact that Mama can sous chef or even just pull up a chair? Genius.
How can we all take a page from this forward thinking gal? Let’s start by getting our kids to help with the grocery shopping and ingredient selection. Or helping with chopping, mixing, tasting, etc. It all informs their future – and ours!
Let me know how it goes…